Explore. Experience. Engage.
Learning is a lifelong process. Phillips Ambassadors actively seek new opportunities to learn and grow. Candidates are selected based on the following criteria:
- Strong communications skills.
- Intellectual curiosity and ambition.
- Academic achievement.
- Evidence of generous service to campus and community.
- Previous record of leadership.
The Phillips Ambassadors Program is one of the most generous and flexible scholarships for undergraduate study abroad at Carolina. The scholarship combines a financial award, an academic course, and a charge to students to share their unique study abroad experience with young people in their hometowns and with the Carolina community.
All UNC students in good academic standing with a minimum GPA of 3.0, and who are accepted to a UNC-approved study abroad program in Asia, other than the SEAS and the Weir Honors Fellowship in Asian Studies programs, are eligible to apply to become Phillips Ambassadors.
Qualified students from all academic majors may apply. Graduating seniors are not eligible.
Strong preference is given to students who have not previously participated in a university study abroad program in Asia. Preference may also be given to students applying to programs that incorporate experiential learning and internships.
Phillips Ambassadors are selected twice a year, once during the fall semester, and again in the spring semester. Application deadlines coincide with study abroad program deadlines set by the Study Abroad Office at UNC.
Phillips Ambassadors will:
- Successfully complete an eligible study abroad program in Asia.
- Receive a financial scholarship of $5000 to go toward the costs of the study abroad program.
- Complete the Phillips Ambassadors Academic Course, a 3-credit hour global studies course led by Carolina faculty designed to help the Ambassadors understand their experience in a global context. The course will consist of a weekend retreat both before and after the study abroad experience and participation in an on-line discussion while abroad.
- Participate in an individual or collective "Give Back" project sharing their study abroad experience with the Carolina community or their hometown communities.