Duke Phillips Ambassador
In an effort to foster relations in Asian Studies between UNC and Duke University, the Phillips Ambassadors Program offers up to two scholarships each summer to qualifying Duke undergraduate students. Brandon Dawson, pictured in center of photo below, studied on the UNC Summer in India program in 2017 as a Duke Phillips Ambassador. Another Duke Phillips Ambassador, Samantha Holmes, details her experience in this video.
The Duke Phillips Ambassador will:
- Participate on UNC Summer in India, UNC Summer in Japan, or UNC Entrepreneurship in Shanghai.
- Receive a financial scholarship of $5,000 to go toward the costs of the study abroad program.
- Complete the Phillips Ambassadors Course, GLBL 281, a UNC 3-credit hour global studies course led by Carolina faculty designed to help the Ambassadors understand their experience in a global context. The course includes weekend retreats in Chapel Hill with cohort both before and after the study abroad experience and participation in an on-line forum while abroad.
- Complete a Phillips Ambassadors give back requirement within a year after returning to Duke.
Phillips Ambassadors are selected based on their high level of academic achievement and commitment to activities, service and leadership roles in the classroom and beyond. Strong communication skills and evidence of self-motivation are important. A clear understanding and articulation of how Asia and one's study abroad experience fit into long-term goals will are also taken into account.
Duke undergraduate students in good academic standing with a minimum GPA of 3.0 who apply to UNC Summer in India or UNC Summer in Japan are eligible to become Phillips Ambassadors. Graduating seniors are not eligible to apply.
How to Apply
1. Review Duke Phillips Ambassadors eligible program brochures:
2. Click "Apply Now" on the individual program page to complete study abroad application by given deadline (typically mid-February)
3. Complete a Phillips Ambassadors scholarship application by given deadline (typically mid-February)
For UNC program-specific questions, consult with the UNC Study Abroad Adviser for Asia. Selected Phillips Ambassadors scholarship applicants will be interviewed in Chapel Hill.